By assigning an IP address to a user, we ensure that this user does not need to log in or log in when logging in to the Virtual Library. The most common cases are when they are sold access to an institution so that all students enter through its network.
To be able to use this function you must contact us via mail or using the chat in your library’s control panel to enable it, then you will be able to continue with the configuration yourself.
What is an IP?
An dirección IP is a number that identifies a device (computer, tablet, laptop, smartphone) or set of devices (computers in a university library)
What types of IP’s can you assign to your users?
Our system allows you to add the following IP formats to your users:
Simple IP: 220.127.116.11
IP Range: from 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124. You can also add these ranges as CIDR notation 126.96.36.199/29.
1) Before starting the configuration we must have the IP we want to assign. If the case is for an institution, we must ask it for the IP or IPs from which the users will access.
There are 2 cases of use:
- Direct: when connected from a single physical space. Ex: from the computers of a university.
- Proxy: connect from any physical site through a campus or portal under the proxy defined by the client.
2) Indicate the URL that the client should use to redirect users from the site where the redirection will take place. This address must be placed in the Button or Link where the user clicks to read. (Ex: if you are in the campus of the university, you must add a button or link like “Access the virtual library of …”)
It will use the URL of your Library and at the end it will add the corresponding path as shown below:
– IP: /auth/ip
3) Identify that client with a user in the platform and enter the data received from the client. For this we will do the following:
Create a user in the Virtual Library to which the specific plan for that client will be assigned.
2. From Control Panel -> Users create the user (or search for it if you already had a user created)
3. Click the button indicated by a down arrow next to Edit and select Assign IP Range.
4. Add the received IP only in the field “from” or add the range of IP’s placing in “from” the beginning of the range and in “until” the end of the range. This should be repeated for all IPs or different IP ranges.
For CIDR Notation you only have to add the IP in the “from” field.
4) Ask the client to do the test to verify that it has been well done. If at the time of validation it does not work properly, we recommend the following steps:
Confirm with the institution that the indicated IPs are correct and correspond to the last IP from which the users leave. Especially when they use proxy, it often happens that they communicate an IP that is not the same as the one through which the users finally leave.
Verify that the institution has correctly added the URL to send users to the Virtual Library. Remember that it must have the extension /auth/ip at the end. -> E.g.: www.mibibliotecavirtual.com/auth/ip
3. Log in to Control Panel -> Users, find the user to whom the IP has been assigned, go to Edit and set that the number of simultaneous Sessions of that user is a high number or the one that has been conversed with the institution. If this field does not have any value, after the third test on different computers it will fail and will not allow you to enter via IP. It is recommended to set high values.
If with these verifications it is not possible to identify the fault, we invite you to look at this other tutorial with an advanced check in order to be able to verify if that IP is being well sent.
Remember that you can limit the number of simultaneous sessions to your users in order to adapt to what you have agreed with the institution you serve.
I hope this tutorial has helped you, if you have any questions just write to [email protected]
The support team of publica.la